New Oakland Child-Adolescent and Family Center
Child's Perspective: Why Should I Participate in FACE to FACE?
It's All My Parent's Fault! Why Do I Need To Be Here?
We understand why you feel these things. But please try to understand: FACE to FACE is not about blame. It's about getting you and your family through this difficult period and helping all of you to recognize and prevent future conflicts before they reach the crisis stage.
FACE to FACE wants to achieve this without removing you from your home. Not only that, but the FACE to FACE program wants to help you and your family to solve this crisis within a week to ten days. This is a short term commitment in exchange for long-term family peace and progress. As for the question, "Why do I need to be here?" The answer is easy: YOU are an important part of the solution! During FACE to FACE you and your family will meet with caring people who will acquaint you and your parents about the program. During the day, you'll meet with your assigned therapist. It is important to answer all the questions you're asked as accurately as possible. Remember, there are no wrong answers!
OK, so what's my role? It's your role to:
- Respect and respond to your parent's authority and expectations
- Respect and respond to your parents' concerns for your protection and well-being
- Respect and respond to your parents expectations for your educational needs
- Use your leisure time creatively and safely, always communicating your plans with your parents
- Be sensitive to your parents' struggles and understand that they, too, are learning and growing and may be under great pressure
- To participate in special family "together time" that promotes family unity
- To communicate with your parents so they can respond to both your success and your difficulties in meeting these demands
There is a degree of conflict in all families, not just yours. But in some families, the conflict may be so severe that it prevents the family from relating to each other in healthy ways. It is important to learn to deal with conflict before it becomes a crisis. You want to be in a happy family where all members grow and improve.
Your participation in FACE to FACE is an important step towards that goal!